Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Vortex D-1 Diatom Filter - 8 in. x 15 in. Review

Vortex D-1 Diatom Filter - 8 in. x 15 in.
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
The Vortex D-1 is a great product design (for the early 1970's). Unfortunately, mine arrived with a broken switch housing and rough edges on the critical chamber seal. The clear polycarbonate was marred with black polycarbonate as they seemed molded together. The two-conductor lamp cord and inline switch offer no ground fault protection. I did not see any UL approval. The simple ac motor sits on top of the assembly and is ready to catch splashes of water into its windings. It runs hot & noisy and requires "special" lubricant every three months (sold seperately). DE powder can be dangerous to breathe yet I recall no warnings on the bag. The four foot hoses are just too short to let the pump sit on the floor next to my tank. The instructions are written for someone already familiar with DE filters (I am). Very critical yet simple information is missing and can lead to tank killing mishaps. Such as "put the powder on the outside of the bag!". Even when you do everything right, getting all air out of the impeller chamber is very difficult and often results in blowing DE powder into the tank. The substrate material (bag) is porous enough to pass the DE powder into the tank (which will kill fish). Fortunately, the filter is pretty good at cleaning up it's own mess if you continue running it despite the initial panic.
This would be a good filter for one or several large tanks. It seems meant to be used for short periods and moved from tank to tank. However, there is no provision for maintaining the prime during a move and you are back to dealing with air and uncoated filter bag problems. I purchased it because I was curious about how this filter functions. I will probably modify or replace it with a DIY. But I do not intend to use it as is. It probably is very acceptable to an experienced aquarist/tinkerer with spare time (as it does clean well) but there must be a more practical, less hazardous version available.


Click Here to see more reviews about: Vortex D-1 Diatom Filter - 8 in. x 15 in.



Buy Now

Click here for more information about Vortex D-1 Diatom Filter - 8 in. x 15 in.

No comments:

Post a Comment