Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)I purchased this product in hopes that it would do a better job than AquaStik Underwater Epoxy Putty or Krazy Glue in affixing mushroom corals to frag plugs in order to stick them to my live rock in the tank. Yes, it's a mouthful, and anyone that has tried to get their mushroom corals to stay put in a busy reef tank understands just how maddening that protective slime coating can be.
I also thought that this product would do a better job of keeping my corals in place in the face of a roving Tuxedo urchin on a path to fun and adventure, adventure and fun that surely lay somewhere near the return pump and would be best experienced after picking up a few coral and some snails. The urchin had already successfully plucked several coral off of the rock that were stuck securely (I thought) in place with AquaStik Underwater Epoxy Putty.
There are two ways to use CorAffix, you can apply it to the bottom of your coral (such as mushrooms) and press them down gently on a frag plug, give it a few seconds and immerse. The product claims to adhere fully after 20 seconds but I noticed far quicker cure times with no slide off. I tested this miracle product by holding a newly plugged mushroom coral directly up to one of my pumps (Koralia 1000) and the water did not push him free. It ticked him off to be sure, but that's just the way of mushroom coral. Suitably impressed I decided to start test two.
I liberally applied CorAffix to the base of a plug and stuck it into the live rock. I gave it a full twenty seconds and carefully placing my fingers around the fat top of the plug I gave a yank firm enough to dislodge it, not a quiver! I attempted to twist the plug in order to remove it from the rock, something that other products are prone to allowing and was again rewarded with its steadfast nature. At this point it was time for test three.
As I now had a frag plug in the rock with nothing attached to it and a perfectly beautiful specimen of Duncan Polyp (LPS) needing a new home and CorAffix claims you can make a "base" by applying their product in an overlapping manner. One layer over another I made a nice base on the skeleton of the LPS, then one last coat and stuck it home. This applied, but it did need to be held in place for several seconds to cure. That being said my lionfish has brushed against it several times and nothing has moved it from the plug.
Test four I decided to glue a particularly aggravating colony of Eagle Eye (polyp) that had grown onto a discarded shell back into place on my rocks. The shell stuck though it took a few seconds, and it has been run over by my always adventurous urchin at least three times that I have seen and stayed securely in place.
It would appear for all intents and purposes CorAffix works precisely how it should. My only complaint is negligible but could be a serious issue if you aren't careful. When you place the coral, plug, or other coated piece into your tank it will release a thin sheen of the CorAffix into the water. It would be wise to grab this straight off the bat.
Click Here to see more reviews about: Two Little Fishies CorAffix 2oz Cyanoacrylate Adhesive
Click here for more information about Two Little Fishies CorAffix 2oz Cyanoacrylate Adhesive
No comments:
Post a Comment